Seconds ticking to our Big Day

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Seconds ticking since Suzila is HIS

Friday 12 September 2008

I Don't Think I Could ...

These couple of days I've read some really touching stories by bloggers on their shared sadness and pain. I'm a softy when it comes to stuff like this. One of them is what I'm gonna share with you all here.

The KB youths story was just unbelievable. We're talking about Brunei here, and there is a case like this?? I helped my sister, Nurul, on her thesis a few months ago. It's a research on lower class families in Brunei and KB does have these cases but the 3 siblings case is just .... I don't know whom to blame. The parents? The social unit department (if they really exist!)?

Back to Nurul's research, she went to KB herself, interviewing these lower class families on their life and all. She was taken aback from the findings she got, as though these families are financially 'troubled' <-- I can't find a better word, they still own those must-have gadgets like television, radio, etc. The houses are of course look very old and shattered (she took some pictures of the houses). Now, can you define who are the lower class in Brunei? I bet, their condition is way better than those families in other poor countries we know of.

I read the entry about the KB siblings in ScrapperMaya's entry yesterday. She gave two links to check out on the unfortunate youths' life. I'm amazed and glad that lots of other bloggers are willing to contribute help to these poor children. Not only those among us, but those in Australia and UK as well. Alhamdulillah for their kindness. As for myself, I will try to talk to my colleagues at work and will try to donate some for them, InsyaAllah.

I can't understand how could a parent do that to her own breed. The boy is only 16 for God's sake!! What does he know about life at that age!! What was she thinking?! I would't question the father cause as from my sister's research, it's the male parents who are mostly the main causes of the existence of lower class families in Brunei. Do you want me to make the list?? Here goes:

1. The husbands are either used to be drug addicts or prisoners
2. Because of this they are mostly unemployed
3. Some turn out to be abusive so the family members suffer; financially and physically
4. In the end, they go back to their old habit
5. They got caught and imprisoned so leaving the families behind

Believe me, there are a lot more!!!

My family and I also witnessed abuse by parents to their children. Yes, children, not a sole child! I bet some of you out there have seen a group of kids selling kueh and local foods in baskets somewhere in Serusup. Yes, those kids! We once asked one of them where they're from and where their parents were. I mean, it's early afternoon like 1 o'clock and they're selling foods in the hot sun when they should be in religious schools studying. We were having lunch so my mum asked the boy whether he had had his lunch or not. He said, "No." Mum fed him the meal from her plate and my sister handed him a 5 dollar note. I told him to keep it and not to give it to anyone. That kid's smile melted our hearts as his eyes showed eagerness seeing that note.

Gosh! What were their parents thinking??

We drove off leaving Serusup one day and saw these kids handing over some cash to some adults at the back of the buldings. They were in two cars, lying on their lowered seats. I guess those were the abused kids' parents. The latest news I heard, they are now operating 'their business' in Batu Bersurat.

This remind me of an article I read a few days back. I won't mention who made the speech in the article. I don't wanna get traced or whatsoever but the bottom line is, that person commented that, Bruneian male breadwinners came to see him for monthly financial help as they're unemployed and old. Most of those who came see him were of 50 years and above and physically fit for work.

I don't see why a 50 year old cannot go to work. I respect this person who made the comment. Instead of giving these men cash monthly straight away, he offered them the grass cutter machine so they could find their own money with that. Guess what these losers said to him ... All came up with lame excuses! I can't help cursing them as I read them said, "I need to know how many customers I could find in a village first." And another saying, "Oh that will cost me my car fuel to go here and there to mow people's lawns." I was like ..... Geeez!!

As Nurul is pursuing her Masters on a similar title, so I gave the article to her. Hopefully it would be of use and hopefully something will be done on defining the REAL lower class in Brunei and who DESERVE to get financial helps MORE than any useless parents out there!

No comments:

I AM AN ARIES: The Daredevil (huh??)

Energetic (yea, in many ways)

Adventurous and spontaneous (definitely)

Confident and enthusiastic (yup!)

Fun (hmm ... I should ask my friends that!)

Loves a challenge (100%)

EXTREMELY impatient (well, I hate waiting. Does that count??)

Sometimes selfish (am I??)

Short fuse; easily angered (hell yeah!)

Lively, passionate and sharp wit (hmm ... No comment!)

Outgoing (for sure!)

Lose interest quickly - easily bored (most of the time)

Egostical (in some ways; my baby says "in MANY ways" LOL!!)

Courageous and assertive (I agree!)

Tends to be physical and athletic (hmm ... Naah!!)

dumpr.net

Fun with your photos
Created with dumpr.net - photo fun

My engagement: 01.01.10

My engagement: 01.01.10
Suzila Ahmad

The engagement ring :)

A cake from him

For him

With my dad & Sharul's :)

With my mum and his :)

With two of my closest girlfriends: Azean & Yanti :)