Seconds ticking to our Big Day

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Seconds ticking since Suzila is HIS

Monday 1 September 2008

Ahlan wa Sahlan ya Ramadhan :)


Alhamdulillah. It's the 1st of Ramadhan tonight, the month of fasting for all Muslims. Brunei practises the 'ru'yah' or the sighting of the moon on the 29th day of Sya'ban. The moon was not sighted so we will start fasting tomorrow. Malaysia and some parts of Indonesia already started fasting today.

It was rather a big 'talkabout' issue every year now. People questioned why Brunei does not follow the decision of fasting day as decided by Malaysia and Indonesia. The fact that these 3 countries have the same 12-hour day and 12-hour night time, it was argued that Brunei should start fasting today too, not tomorrow. I, myself, can't answer this particular question. I am in fact one of those asking THE question, but nobody seems to give us the answer ...

I watched an Indonesian channel this afternoon. I was amazed, and puzzled actually, when I found a district of Indonesia, in the South part of Java (I think) DID NOT start fasting today. The afternoon news coverage interviewed the Imam of the district, who is the leader of the 1,200 population. He calmly commented that, he and his people have not started fasting because they practises the 'ru'yah', which they failed to sight the moon of Ramadhan. Other provinces, which decided to fast today, had the right to do so, he said. So on their case, they also have the right NOT to follow the call for fasting today in Indonesia.

I now see this as a similar scenario for Brunei. Though Sarawak, Sabah and Kalimantan Muslims, who are living in the same island that we Bruneians live in, have started fasting before us, it's their decision to do so. While we also have the right to start fasting tomorrow, not today.

Well, at least that's the answer to the question that I have. I am not an expert in all these Islamic Month Calender issues. What I get is from what I see. What do you think??

Happy fasting everyone :) May all our ibadah are accepted by the Almighty.

Ahlan wa Sahlan ya Ramadhan!!

No comments:

I AM AN ARIES: The Daredevil (huh??)

Energetic (yea, in many ways)

Adventurous and spontaneous (definitely)

Confident and enthusiastic (yup!)

Fun (hmm ... I should ask my friends that!)

Loves a challenge (100%)

EXTREMELY impatient (well, I hate waiting. Does that count??)

Sometimes selfish (am I??)

Short fuse; easily angered (hell yeah!)

Lively, passionate and sharp wit (hmm ... No comment!)

Outgoing (for sure!)

Lose interest quickly - easily bored (most of the time)

Egostical (in some ways; my baby says "in MANY ways" LOL!!)

Courageous and assertive (I agree!)

Tends to be physical and athletic (hmm ... Naah!!)

dumpr.net

Fun with your photos
Created with dumpr.net - photo fun

My engagement: 01.01.10

My engagement: 01.01.10
Suzila Ahmad

The engagement ring :)

A cake from him

For him

With my dad & Sharul's :)

With my mum and his :)

With two of my closest girlfriends: Azean & Yanti :)